It’s finally Friday! Even though we can’t go anywhere, I’m excited the weekend is here and I can spend some extra, uninterrupted time with my kids. During the week, things get crazy but one way I like to spend time with them, while getting things done is letting them help cook dinner! I wanted to round up my 5 Easy & Fun Kid-Friendly Recipes for you to try, too!
I love incorporating my kids in the kitchen because it’s fun, knocks something off our to-do list, and makes so many great memories. I won’t lie, some recipes are just not kid friendly and then it turns into more trouble than fun. I wanted to help all you busy mamas out there by rounding up our favorite easy & fun kid-friendly recipes, just in time for you to try some this weekend!
Kid-Friendly Recipes You’ll Love:
1. Taco Pie – Grab 1lb Lean Ground Beef or Turkey, 1 Block Cream Cheese, Two Cans of Crescent Rolls and Taco Seasoning. Plus any optional things if you want to fancy it up a little bit: diced jalapeños, onions, diced tomatoes, garlic. Start by greasing your pie pan and preheating the oven according to crescent roll package. Use one can of crescent rolls and layer the bottom. I normally let the little girls press the edges with a fork to “make pie” and keep them busy while I brown up the meat and get the filling ready. Brown and strain your ground beef, then season with taco seasoning. Dice your block of cream cheese, and mix it into your meat until the cream is well incorporated. If you want to incorporate any extra fancy toppings you can easily mix them in now! Gently plop your filling mixture on top of the bottom layer of crescent rolls. Use your second can of crescent rolls and layer over the top. If you have kids that like to help in the kitchen, letting them press the edges down with a fork is always fun. Since your meat is already cooked, you just need to bake your “Taco Pie” and follow your crescent roll instructions for how long to cook your dough.
2. Leftover Pie Dough Treats – After Taco Pie, we typically have extra dough from the bottom and top layer. With this, I will let the kids make their own dessert! They can roll it and play with it for a couple of minutes, then we normally stuff marshmallows inside and sprinkle the outside with cinnamon and sugar. They have fun and always turn out yummy. Bake according to crescent roll package.
Find photos of our Taco Pie and Leftover Pie Dough Treats below!
3. Crockpot BBQ Sweet Potatoes – They say diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but I really think it’s a crockpot! It’s one of my biggest mom-hacks and we couldn’t live without ours. More often than not, you can find ours is filled with BBQ chicken! Just take 4 chicken breasts (they can even be frozen) add 1 cup chicken broth and 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low, shred and return to the sauce. Mix together for a delicious, easy BBQ chicken. You can use this for sandwiches, nachos, pizzas – but our favorite? Stuffed in a baked sweet potato! The tangy BBQ sauce + the sweetness from the potato is an unexpected hit you’ll want week after week!
3. Simple & Delicious Homemade Vanilla Sheet Cake – Simple, delicious and perfect for making everyday a celebration! Glitter Inc.’s sheet cake recipe is always a hit. You’ll fall in love with this classic and never reach for box mix again! Bonus points if you have an assortment of fun sprinkles to decorate with. Turn this cake into a fun, family friendly cake off and host your very own decorating contest!
5. Fridge Clean Out Salad Night – A lot of our ‘cooking’ happens in this recipe happens in the construction stage. We like to take easy ingredients and customize it into something fun and unique. Another healthy, yet fun and easy favorite is a fridge clean out salad night! I chop up a ton of lettuce and then head to the fridge. Grab whatever is available and arrange it salad bar style. Let the kids help! They’ll feel like a five star chef and forget they’re getting their daily greens in.
Which recipe are you going to try first? If you try any, be sure to share on social media + tag me so I can see! If you have any recipes you think we should try this weekend, drop them in the comments below!